Tuesday 6 March 2018

The Asian Madness [Review]




The Asian Madness is a fairly new podcast. It covers on the true crime, urban legends, myths, superstition, cultural issue, all in Asian continent.

Now, true crime is not really my kind of genre. Not only my lack of avidity to nightmare-induced-podcasts, but I don't really enjoy enjoy other people tragedies. Now, don't get me wrong; I'm not saying all true crime fans are sadistic psychopath, it just that, I myself just don't know how to put my personal perspective on the information of crime stories.

So, why this pod? Well, mostly was because of the title: The *Asian* Madness.

Podcast in Asia has not flourish as well as in the other parts of the world (read: Western world), the reason, well, I haven't been able to deduce it why. Not that there are none podcast, there are several, but mostly are local ones, with local languages, ones I don't understand.
As for podcast about Asia, not only most of it were conversational, it mostly ranges in economy and politic--two subjects which I already had more than fair share of during my college years.

Thus, don't blame me when I actually squealed when I found a podcast about Asia and from an Asian, and also contains more ghosts than a stock market review. 

The Asian Madness is hosted by Jessica, commonly known as the Mad Asian. Episode was released more or less every week, although it then changed into bi-weekly after the fourth episode, with some mini-sodes in impromptu. Most episodes were about true crime though, with so far only one episode focusing on urban legends, and several episodes on cultures.

The structure of each episodes are fairly simple, not to mention the duration range is mostly below half an hour. The only tiny pet peeves I have with this podcast is the narrator tendency to tell general details about each of the country, such as its history, geographical location, etc., basically details that you could easily find in first paragraph of Wikipedia pages.

But, as a true crime podcaster, Mad Asian is not your usual one. She's maybe not everyone's taste. In fact, I honestly surprised that I liked her style. I guess her wry humor got me chained. She's not haunting, ominous, or too blatantly (boringly) factual. She's like the cool friend that tells a story in a night-out, and everyone in the room would directly tuned into her at the very start of her voice. She hardly sounds emotional on the subject, but here and there again, some burst of curses and emotion would give color to the story told.

The details of the crimes are wisely mentioned. As insane as it is, it's never mentioned as for the sake of gratification. But still, it's insane..so listener discretion is HIGHLY advised.

And also, do consider on what you're eating before listening this podcast: meats, soup, and err..tofu are not endorsed.

Note:
  • The Asian Madness is on Podbean, iTunes, Stitcher, and your usual podcatcher allies
  • for additional show notes, check the instagram account here
  • recommended for: true crime, myths, urban legends, history, Asian culture
  • caution for: graphic description and extensive discussion on violence, crime, murder, mutilation, cannibalism, kidnapping, missing person, sexual abuse, non-sexual abuse, violence on women and children, bodily horror, non-bodily horror, trauma, suicide, deaths (LOTS of it), cultural views, religion and belief, ghost, inept law enforcement.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Siniar Talks

Distributed By Blogger Templates | Designed By Darmowe dodatki na blogi